History

Brewery Farm House was built in 1773. The Malt House (the extension to the farm house) was built by Robert Litten the elder in the eighteenth century and was named the Star Brewery; beer was brewed at the Brewery until 1896, when the company went into liquidation. The Star Brewery with its 26 licensed houses (of which the New Inn in Swindon Road was one), 6 cottages and land were auctioned off at the Goddard Arms on 29 October 1896. The Star Brewery ceased to exist from this date. Arkell’s Brewery bought the premises of the former Star Brewery.

In 1926 Arkells sold Brewery Farm to Edward John Cook. The farm was a working (Milk) Farm until after the 2nd World War. In 1980 the Farm House was identified as a Building of Special Architectural or Historic Interest ie. became a Grade II listed building (One of 5 in Lower Stratton St Margaret) The Farm House remained in the Cook Family until December 2006 when it was bought by Colin and Anne.

The home of the former Star Brewery has now been converted to a Bed and Breakfast; the main Farm House is Private family accommodation with the former Malt House converted to Bed and Breakfast with all rooms en-suite.

     
© 2018 Brewery Farm House
Site design by Matt Page